Maytag is one of the oldest appliance companies and many homeowners trust it for offering the most durable and efficient appliances. However, problems can occur in any appliances and washers are no different. It sometimes is tough to figure out what the problem is. But thanks to Maytag washer error codes, it’s easy to find out what the problem is.
While all the error codes are listed in the user manual of your appliance, it is easy to lose this document over time. Especially if you bought your machine years ago. In this article, we will cover all the error codes in detail and offer their solutions so you can do some DIY Maytag washer troubleshooting.
Error Code rL: Clothes In Drum
This error is displayed when there is a load in the drum while the cleaning cycle is set on your washer. Your washer may shut down at the start of the cycle.
- Disconnect the main power breaker or unplug your washer.
- Remove clothes from the drum. Start the cycle again.
- Reconnect power.
- Re-select the CLEANING cycle and press START.
- If the error persists, call a technician for proper diagnosis and repair.
Error Code F01: Problem with the Central Control Unit And EEPROM
This occurs when the communication between the Central Control Unit and the EEPROM is hindered which leads to the washer stopping in mid-cycle. This can be caused due to power surge or power interruption.
- Turn the machine off and unplug the washer.
- Restart the machine after 2-3 minutes. Unplug the washer for two minutes to reset the machine.
- Once the error code is removed, turn the power on and restart the cycle.
- If this Maytag error code persists, you must call a technician as it may require repair or replacement of the CCU board.
Error Code F11: Problem with the Motor Control Unit
This error code suggests an underlying problem with the Motor Control Unit and voltage regulator. Usually, this leads to an interrupted high-speed spin. You will notice that the door unlocks within 3 minutes.
- You can remove this error code by double-clicking on the Pause button twice.
- If this error code re-occurs every time you set a high-speed spin, you might have to replace the MCU board.
- Call technician to install a new MCU board.
Error Code F20: Problem with the Water Inlet
This error code is displayed when the pressure switch is not tripped after 6 minutes. You might find that the machine stops working at the beginning of the cycle, the door is locked and the drum does not have any water. The problem is usually with the main water supply.
- Check if there is enough water in the unit and ensure that the taps are turned on completely. You should also check for any water line for any damaged and filter screens.
- If there is water in the unit and your washer still shows this error, press Pause/Cancel twice.
- If the code persists, the possible problem is with the hoses, other parts of your water line, drain pump, pressure switch or the Central Control Unit.
Error Code F21: Problem with the long drain
The is one of the common Maytag error codes and appears when there is a possible problem with the drain. Your washer will stop mid-cycle and the door will remain locked. The drum will still have the water and it may take more than 8 minutes for the draining. The water valves may also switch off.
- Turn the power on of your washer and ensure that the pump is working normally.
- Ensure that the drain hose is not plugged or damaged.
- Turn the main power supply off or unplug the washer.
- Ensure that all electrical connections are in place and the pump is not damaged.
- Clean the drain pump thoroughly and ensure that there are no foreign particles in the filter.
- Plug in the washer and restart the cycle.
- If you still see an error code, it may mean that the drain pump is damaged. Call a technician to replace the pump.
Error Code F22: Problem with the door lock
This error is displayed after 6 failed trials to lock the door. It suggests that the lock mechanism is broken or working properly.
- Keep the washer unplugged for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Inspect the door lock for any damage and make sure that the screws are tight.
- Restart the washer and press the try locking the door. If the error persists, the problem may be with the lock system or the CCU. Contact a technician immediately.
Error Code F23: Failure of the heating element
If your washer is taking too long to heat or doesn’t heat at all, this error is displayed. The problem is with the heating element.
- Unplug the washer or turn off the breaker. Leave your washer turned off for one minute.
- To tackle this Maytag washer problem, contact a technician to replace the heating element.
Error Code F24: Problem with the Water Temperature Sensor
The error suggests a problem with the water temperature sensor. You will notice that the water is not heating during the wash cycle.
- Unplug washer or disconnect power for 1-2 minutes and allow it to reset.
- If the error code is displayed again, it means that the temperature sensor needs to be replaced. This should be done only by a professional.
Error Code F25: Problem with the drive motor tachometer
If there is a shut down during a high-speed spin and this error is displayed, it suggests that the Drive Motor Tachometer which produced analogue voltage for your washer. If this is damaged, the washer will not recognize motor speed and will shut off.
- Disconnect the washer from the plug and move it away from the wall so the motor is exposed.
- Ensure that no packaging material is stuck to the motor and there are no loose bolts, tapes or cables.
- Restart the washer and check if the error is removed.
- If the error persists, you will need to replace the tachometer. Call a technician handling Maytag washer troubleshooting to replace it properly.
Error Code F26: Problem with the Door Switch
This error code appears after all operations and it suggests that the door is not closed properly or has not been opened in 3 consecutive cycles.
- Ensure that the door is closed properly. Push the door until you hear a click.
- Reset the washer by pressing the Pause button and restart a new cycle.
- If the code is displayed again, request for a door switch replacement by a technician.
Error Code F27: Problem of Overflowing
This error occurs when the problem is with the overflow contact. You will notice that the door will not unlock and the drain pump will be draining excess water.
- Unplug the washer and turn of both cold and hot water faucets.
- Ensure that the drain hose is clear and not damaged.
- Ensure that the pump filter is clean.
- Replug the washer.
- Call a technician for diagnosis or replacement of the overflow contact or the pressure switch.
Error Code F28: Problem with Serial Communication
When this Maytag error code is displayed, the washer will be unresponsive. This suggests that there is a problem with serial communication between MCU and the CCU.
- Keep the washer unplugged for 1 minute.
- Plug in the washer and restart with any cycle.
- If the problem persists, you might have to remount or replace the MCU or the CCU. This task should be handled by a technician.
Error Code F29: Problem with unlocking the door
The error appears when the door lock mechanism is not properly working. This also means that the door mechanism is broken.
- Ensure that no dirt or clothes from previous wash cycles are not stuck to the door switch.
- Keep the washer unplugged for 1 minute.
- Restart the washer to any cycle.
- If error code persists, call a technician to replace the door switch mechanism.
Error Code F30: Problem with the dispenser system
When the dispenser motor is not positioned correctly or is malfunctioning, this error will appear.
- Unplug the washer for 1 minute and then plug it back.
- Press the start button to restart the cycle.
- If the error code is still displayed on the panel, call a technician to replace the dispenser motor.
Error Code F31: Failure of the Motor Control Unit
When this error is displayed, the washer will shut down automatically. You will also notice that the washer is overheating.
- Ensure that the washer is not in close contact with a heating source like the furnace or water heater.
- Unplug the washer and keep the washer unplugged for 10-15 minutes.
- Restart the washer.
- If code persists, you should not use the washer until a professional has checked and replaced the damaged unit.
Error Code F33: Problem with Pump Drive System Error
This error occurs when there is a problem with the pump and its connection with the Central Control Unit. If this error is displayed, the water will leak out of the pump.
If you see this error, you should call the technician immediately as this requires replacement of the pump or rewiring of the CCU.
No matter what Maytag washer problem you have been facing, we at iFix Appliances are there for all your repair needs. Our team is full of experts who understand your appliances in and out. Along with that, we also offer installation services to get your appliance up and running within no time. Call today!