You have known your dishwasher for a while now, sometimes it works, sometimes not quite. Is it time to replace it or fix it yet again? That is the question! While a prospect to get a new bright and shiny refrigerator, washer or dishwasher may look attractive, it does come with certain expense.
After talking with the salesperson in the appliance store, you will get sucked into a deal where “the more you buy, the more you save” not to mention the unexpected expense of reconfiguring the kitchen cabinets to adapt the new refrigerator. Thousands of dollars later, you may realize that it would have been just easier to spend a few hundred on repair and carry on.
How do you know when it is really time to get rid of the old appliance?
Answering these questions will help you decide:
- Was it having problems from the get go or malfunction occurred only once?
- How old is your appliance?
- How expensive is the part to be replaced?
- Is the replacement part still available?
- Is it a discontinued model?
- Is it energy efficient model?
It is true that appliances are not built to last anymore, but sometimes what seems to be a big problem can be easily fixed.
Regular maintenance will extend the lifespan of your appliances:
- It is always the little things that go long way and will help you avoid repairs and replacement costs.
- Empty the lint in the dryer, and ideally have it cleaned once in a while professionally inside. It will reduce the potential problems with motor and will eliminate risk of fire.
- Rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, to prevent leftovers damaging inner parts and blocking the drainage.
- Keep the washer door open after use and wipe it dry to prevent mildew buildup
If your appliance is malfunctioning and you want to get professional assessment call us at I-Fix Appliance Repair.
If you have determined that your appliance has to go and it has been confirmed, look for sustainable options to recycle it, as some of them contain toxic materials (such as Freon).
If it is still in working condition and you have decided to upgrade it for a newer model you can always donate it.